Film: Sylvain Chomet’s Triplets of Belleville
Thesis: The rules of physics are inconsistent throughout the film, adding humor to its otherwise dark themes and aiding the protagonists in times of peril.
Hypothesis 1: Madame Souza has superhuman strength
- She is able to keep up with her grandson’s bicycle training effortlessly, all while blowing on her whistle without missing a beat.
- She is able to cross the entire Atlantic ocean on a pedal boat
Hypothesis 2: Indestructibility
- Bruno the dog is used as a spare tire yet remains unharmed.
- One of the Triplets is able to change the direction of the pedaling machine with just their arms
- Madame Souza is able to stop a speeding vehicle with just her foot
Hypothesis 3: Inconsistent explosions
- One of the triplets throws a grenade into a pond to gather frogs for dinner. Explosion is only a few feet away yet does little damage to her.
- In a gangsters’ theater, the same grenade is used yet does considerably more damage than before.
Conclusion: While the inconsistent physics in the Triplets of Belleville may turn some viewers away, it actually adds a creative twist that benefits the storytelling.